The idea economy – the current paradigm of a technology environment that makes it possible for ideas to become reality in days rather than years – means that businesses need a different IT mind-set and a different kind of infrastructure if they are to compete effectively.
One way of creating a sustainable environment for the idea economy to flourish is by adopting composable infrastructure, which helps organisations achieve important objectives related to infrastructure, objectives that are difficult — if not impossible — to achieve via traditional means, according to HPE Synergy for Dummies by Scott D Lowe.
These include being able to do the following:
- Deploy quickly with simple flexing, scaling, and updating
- Run workloads anywhere — on physical servers, on virtual servers, or in containers
- Operate any workload upon which the business depends, without worrying about infrastructure resources or compatibility
- Ensure the infrastructure can provide the right service levels so the business can stay in business
As with any ‘Dummies’ book, a simple and easy to understand approach is key, and Lowe finds the balance between introducing concepts to noobs and still offering enough insights that any IT exec will have an ‘a-ha’ moment (or few).
It wraps up with a useful ‘Ten most important tips’ to consider on the journey towards an idea economy-driven data centre – it’s worth reading the book, but here’s quick snapshot in the meantime:
- The journey is about the business, not IT. With Composable Infrastructure, the goal is to shift the focus to the business by enabling the infrastructure to be as invisible as possible to the business.
- Fluid pools of resources should be the norm. IT administrators no longer have to statically provision resources and then waste those resources when they aren’t used as fully as possible. Synergy allows administrators to flex their resource use depending on the current demands of the business.
- Software?defined intelligence enables agility. HPE Synergy enables you to bring new solutions to market far more quickly than was possible before. On the application front, deployments can now take minutes or hours rather than days or weeks.
- The unified API is a boon for DevOps.
- The infrastructure is designed for today and for tomorrow.
- Templates can help you reinvent your IT processes and eliminate time?consuming provisioning processes across operational silos that often delay projects for weeks or months.
- Image Streamer crushes traditional infrastructure deployment models. Image Streamer, a repository of bootable images can be streamed across multiple compute modules in a matter of seconds. This unique capability enables HPE Synergy to set up and update infrastructure with unmatched speed and consistency.
- Compute module options abound. With four Composable compute module options powered by Intel Xeon processors in the HPE Synergy portfolio, you can mix?and?match compute devices to meet just about any workload need.
- Utilise integrated storage without compromises.
- The Fabric grows with your company and reduces hardware spend.
You can read HPE Synergy for Dummies free here